Thursday, April 19, 2007

Kou: Refugee

Battambang/Refugee/US

Back home
Friend let me borrow one of her new sarongs. I wear it when I decide to walk to Battambang with her friend. She going to see daughter. I want to see Battambang. So pretty, everyone say. Number one city,
So far walk for 2 nights and 3 days. Everytme it is too hot we cannot walk, sleep under tree of empty house.
Wow! Big temple. Go inside and find friend. She so happy to see me. I am so tired I cannot walk anymore so when it time to go back I say no, too sore. Come back later. Give her sarong to bring back with her. Send message to sister “come here, big city. We buy big bag rice, make living.”
I become maid to friend so she let me stay with her. I cook, clean, shop, give kid shower, give her massage. Wash clothes. One day I ask to borrow some money to do a business for myself.
She cut me a little business. I walk far away to buy oranges. I bring to market and sell to make extra money. Sometimes I buy meat and exchange for rice.
Every night the takes boat across river to watch soap opera with best friend. I not go with her, boatride make me too sick. But I afraid to stay in temple alone at night. So dark.
After couple weeks no more gold for me.
“Time for you to get married and move away,” she say. “Can’t afford to take care of yo anymore.”
Gee my god, what can I do? Where the man can I marry?
No longer pretty young girl. No man want me now. I cannot go back to sister.
Every day she complain not enough gold to keep you. Find new home. SoI start sending notes to the camp to try to contact sister Finally, I see man from camp, ask about sister.
Sister return to Phnom Phen, he say. She go with others, walk for one or two months.
Khmer control the camp, but they don’t know what to do. They so mean.

No comments: